“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”
|The EX250 Rim as it arrived|
from The Ebay Ether.
Looking back to my post from Feb 3 of 2010 I explain why I chose to use the front wheel I did. The Yamaha R6 Front rim seems to be a popular choice for people building hub center front ends. It has the requisite spacious hub and is set up for twin discs and modern tires so it’s an excellent choice. For me though I wanted a smaller and narrower rim so I went with the EX250 rim. The first rim I got wasn’t in great shape so I decided to get another one and use it as a backup. I got another on EBay that was in much better condition. I decided that getting the front end done this weekend was a priority and wanted to machine this new rim and get the hub assembly fitted before moving on to frame bits. I assumed it would take me about 4 hours to cut the hub out of the new rim, mount it to the mill and machine it to fit the hub inserts. 2days later I had it finished. Did I mention I under estimate the time I need to do almost anything? My first mistake was in deciding to strip the cracked and peeling red paint off the rim before I started machining. The chemical stripper I have was very effective in turning the outer layer of paint into red goo while leaving the layers underneath unmoved. I have done a lot of auto body and paint work and chemically stripping paint is always a gamble. Cheap paints seem to be the hardest to get rid of because they turn into goo that is just a mess and time consuming to remove. I think someone here went over the OEM finish with Krylon because what I had in front of me was the kind of mess I have gotten time and time again when I try to chemically strip Krylon. Either way, after wasting 2 hours on that dead end I cleaned it up as best I could and decided to just blast the rest off. After blasting (another hour or so of my life not making progress) I had a clean rim ready for machining.
|Ready to machine|
|Clean Aluminum rim after|
|Locating the center rotation|
of the rim by probing
the machined brake disk
|Drilling out the disk carrier hols for the hub insert bolts|
|The rim with both hub inserts pressed into place. Rim Gets painted then final assembly|