The finished turning, It will get a flange welded to it for mounting.
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Monday, July 19, 2010
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
36 hours in and almost done. A Lot of that time was spent trying not to engineer myself into a corner. I do think I managed to over engineer the entire thing by twice the effort I should have put into it, but when it comes to the development stage, I hope it will pay off. In this image, beside the Mess on the bench, you may have noticed a lost BMW R bike engine and drive train, as well as the stepper motors and controller for another project I swore I'd have done by the end of this year. Donut ask me how that's going. In planning my own demise I am now confident that it will be under the crushing force of the avalanche of all the unfinished projects that will have reached critical mass around my 90Th birthday. Thus securing my legend for posterity. Right?
I for some reason find wiring or working with electronics calming. The problem is that around here I don't seem to get to concentrate on something like this for very long, so of course this has taken far longer than it should have. Here’s the current state. The main 34 pin Amphi connector is about 2/3 populated. The smaller 21 pin is almost done and then all I have to do is tie all these back to their sensors which are all connected my Metripak connectors so that should be fairly quick. Some of the time its taking is determining what gauge wire to use and that’s partially based on what colors I have available. I dismembered some of the smart car harness to get a good selection of colored wire. Since only solid color wire is easily available new chopping up and existing harness is a good way to get wire with unique color combination. A must to keep everything organized, in even a simple harness like this with about 45 to 50 wires. Gauging is another story but so far I've been lucky with the selection I have. Word of advice; when you are building a connector with 34 pins, start from the middle and work your way out to the peripheral positions. If you try to build it by starting at number 1 then you will be fighting to keep it organized and to insert new pins/wires once you get the first row done. FWIW. I don’t need all this to get the motor running. However, I will want some of these sensors for tuning and still a few more will be part of the data logging to see how the motor is performing overall and where I may be able to optimize
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
The pulley I made yesterday was feeling a bit on the heavy side so I decided to add some go fast lightening holes.Now if the belts I ordered would just get here I can finally realize my fear that I made the pulley too big.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Friday, July 9, 2010
The start of the engine wiring harness, a ridiculously complex affair for a Diesel. See the future!
The inspiration for this project came for my friend Scott. Who in doing something similar, coalesced a number of ideas and long time dreams of mine. To one day run at Bonneville. Through all the troubles he’s had in the three years he’s been building and racing at bonnie he’s made it look easy. Tonight’s epiphany is that I have a talent for dramatically underestimating the complexity of the task in front of me. This by the way goes for parenthood too, but that’s another blog. So there are my two talents. Underestimating, and building work benches. I’m out of cake.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
The manifold after I scrubbed for about 30min. It still has plenty of crap in it and I managed to break off the little nipple for the hose MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. Yea me!