Thursday, August 12, 2010

Unintended

I have to relocate the alternator. It was would have been great where it was, not adding to the frontal area of the engine, but it had 2 problems. One was that there was no belt tension adjustment built into the mounting. Two the alternator belt interfered with the water pump pulley mechanism. I think there is an easy fix by mounting the alternator off of one of the right side engine mounts. This of course will no doubt cause a problem when it comes time to design the engine to frame mounts, but at this moment I have no plans to use that mount anyway. For simplicity sake I decided to make this new mount out of steel. I yelled at the CNC mill “make a bracket” and what you see in the pictures is the beginning of the part. I have a much longer post that should have preceded this one about making the arm for the water pump belt tensioner, but I haven’t gotten around to that one yet as it should be much more involved. In I’ll explain the origin of yelling at CNC machines to make parts in that post.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment